Thursday, April 5, 2012

Running a Chaotic Pace

This week was one of those weeks where I actually asked myself how I was really going to accomplish a half marathon in November. This week has been what I would like to call the perfect storm. It started out with a very busy day at school Monday, filled with IEP meetings and wild kids gearing up for a short week. Come to find out this week is a full moon. Hmmm... On top of that I volunteered to sit on an interview committee for my district. I ask myself now was that time really worth the experience? I'll let you know this weekend when I catch up on sleep. Even more Baby Bubs has been sick all week with a virus, teething and an ear infection, while hubs had the stomach bug. For those of you who are parents you know what I mean when I say I've hit the jackpot this week. With all of this going on I haven't logged any miles this week, which makes me feel quite nervous about the fact that I have to run a little over 13 miles in a mere 6 months. And to make matters worse, I signed up months ago for my first 10K on April 22nd. I have just been able to run a consistent 5 miles at a time, so I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I'll be able to accomplish a little over 6. After this week, I'm feeling pretty skeptical. 


One of the hardest things about being a mom of an infant and running is finding the time to really get out there and run consistently. Throughout my training I've seen a lot of blogs, tweets and articles about the benefits of running with children. Yet, I have a few doubts about it. First of all being it's WAY harder to run pushing a stroller. The two times I borrowed a jogging stroller, I wasn't very excited. The handle is at an awkward angle so you feel like you are running with your hands permanently at the chest, which essentially you are. It reminds me of an awkward dinosaur standing on two feet with tiny little arms.... anyone else thinking of the Disney movie, Meet the Robinsons? Second, the steering on a jogging stroller really isn't the greatest. I felt like there was no ease when turning and it just further irritated me. I'd have to stop and scooch the stroller sideways each time I wanted to turn, which is practically every 500 feet in my small beach community. Finally, I got to the end and I felt like I spent most of the time complaining in my head about the stroller that I didn't even enjoy the quiet and peaceful feeling that running gives me. I really want to enjoy sharing something I love with my daughter, I just am not sure how... 


I haven't given up yet though. There has to be a way to balance training, family and minor disruptions along the way. I know that I just have to keep trying to find my groove and it will all fall into place, but I've always been impatient and want immediate effects. I know that in the long run I will be able to cross that finish line proud and feeling strong, but in the midst of training and life you can't help but worry and self-doubt. I know things will work out as they should, but I do appreciate that the few of you out there reading what I write will let me vent tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment