Monday, May 28, 2012

First Double Digit Run

I know it has been a week since I last wrote, but with school winding down and Baby Bubs finally teething, it has been challenging to find the time to write. Last week, I completed a VERY challenging 10K. I was very disappointed with myself because I walked more of that I had hoped and I was not pleased my with my time. I was especially disappointed because I had been running over 7 miles consistently for four weeks so 6.2 miles didn't seem as bad I had expected. After taking some time to reflect, I realized that I probably shouldn't have done this race. The week before I had lost my grandfather suddenly to a heart attack and I had spent almost all week at home with my family. Running, eating healthy and training was far from my mind as I spent the week grieving with my family and remembering an amazing man. When I started my race on Sunday I didn't think this was going to be as challenging as it was. I also wasn't aware that it was supposed to be almost 80 degrees at 10 AM and that the hills would kill me. After what seemed like the hardest run of my short racing career, I finished 6.2 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes. YIKES! Needless to say I was disappointed in myself for letting my mind get the best of me and giving in to the challenges I encountered. After reflecting on the race, I realized that I also didn't set myself up for success the week before.

I decided this week I would train more consistently and work on speed and hills. I completed two vigorous workouts this week and felt confident in my training. However, I was very anxious about getting back out on the road and doing my long run. I was intimidated and still overwhelmed with my poor race on Sunday. Our Saturday was busy this week so I pushed off my long run until Sunday night. Since the Wine and Dine Marathon is at 10 at night, I wanted to make sure that I am training in the morning (when I'm most comfortable running long distances) and at night. I know that running longer distances at night is much harder because you have spent all day living life. I was very apprehensive about my long distance and I planned on going out for 8 miles. When I got out running I realized that I had missed the long runs where I could just relax and reconnect with myself. At mile 4, I decided to go a little further and shoot for 9 miles. At 9 miles I realized why not just go for 10 since I was still about a mile from home. The end of my run I had completed 10 miles in 1:43:04 with a pace of 10:18 per mile! I can't even describe how much of a relief and confidence booster this run was. Instead of focusing on my challenging 10K I was able to feel how great it was to accomplish my first double digit run. I came to the realization that my worst enemy was myself and if I am able to remember the excitement of running then I can do well. This is the biggest thing I have to keep in mind before my next race.

Today I made the decision to join the Runner's World Run Streak. I have also decided that I will have some flexibility in my streak and if I find myself feeling tired due to extended training I will use one of my  weekdays to walk a mile. I'm hoping that I can challenge myself and complete the Run Streak fully. I look forward to seeing the other posts of people that are also streaking along with me!

Has anyone else has a race that redefined their training? What were some of the challenges your encountered?

No comments:

Post a Comment